When, a few weeks ago, I prepared a lecture on the global economy titled 'Economic Tsunami', I had no idea how darkly prescient it would be.
Such forces as we've seen in Japan over the past few days remind us that, despite our best attempts to predict, define and control our world, there are some things we cannot plan or strategise for. Things that are beyond human comprehension, and in this case a lethal combination of nature's strength in moving earth and water with the consequences of humanity's nascent experiments with the atomic building blocks of life.
I suppose I should be commenting on the likely economic impact, the effect on global markets, supply chains, food safety scares, panic buying and the strength of the Yen against the Dollar, but in all honesty I can think of little other than the thousands of people whose lives and bodies may simply have been consumed by the sea.
Doing what we can to help Japan recover is important at both an individual and global level, but I also think we have a duty to reflect on our own lives in this context. What is business for if not to sustain life?
So many people spend their lives trying to accumulate wealth - piling up money for a rainy day. Well, what if the rain doesn't come but a Tsunami does? Everything gone, and what life have you lived? A big house full of empty rooms and seven digit bank balance won't save you from disaster.
I'm a big fan of using your money to live...and with this in mind, I've just bought myself a (Japanese) piano. Read into that what you will.
No comments:
Post a Comment